Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Werewolf, sex, magic

Thought that would get your attention.

I first saw the work of David Altmejd when he represented Canada at the 2007 Venice Biennale and was enthralled by his kooky blend of natural elements (foilage, crystals and werewolves), high camp (beads, glitter and mirrors) fairytale characters (Jack & the Giant) and filmic references (David Cronenberg is an influence). It's as if Liberace got hold of some plaster!

His new work, which features in the latest edition of Dazed + Confused, features mashed up plaster 69'er and tongue pashing figure sculptures.

From Altmejd himself:

I was trying to think what were the strangest things I’ve ever seen … I think it was the first time I saw that stupid video of the autopsy of an alien. In my mind, culturally the alien was always supposed to represent something specific – it was a symbol of the ‘other’. It wasn’t about its organs. It wasn’t supposed to be opened up. So, that feeling of seeing the inside of something that you’re not supposed to see was really interesting to me”.

What next …. Cinderella as a deconstructed furry mirror ball?

No comments: